Sunday, April 26, 2009

Matt Costa


Matt Costa is a singer-songwriter who plays warm, summery music along the lines of Donavon Frankenreiter, Jack Johnson, and Jason Mraz. He has been signed by Brushfire Records.

Many know Costa for his hits “Mr. Pitiful,” “Cold December” and “Sunshine,” but few know he is a Huntington Beach resident.

I had the chance to see him perform on Saturday at Fingerprints for Record Store Day.

After the show Costa was gracious enough to let me interview him for the Baron Banner.

Here’s what he had to say about skateboarding, his new album, and how to get to Cypress.

Baron Banner: So, you’re from Huntington Beach?

Matt Costa: Yes, I live over there.

BB: Did you grow up there?

MC: No, I actually grew up in Cypress, which is off the 405, exit on Valley View. And I also grew up in Florida which is off the B-Line in central Florida near Kissimmee. There were lots of lakes around so there was always a lot of water, which I think is a very “natural thing.”

BB: What did you do in Florida?

MC: I was a skateboarder. I wasn’t a pro or anything, but I skateboarded a lot.

BB: Do you think that growing up as a skateboarder influenced your music at all?

MC: Definitely. You get turned on to so much music through skate videos from all walks of life and hear it all the time. You get turned on to so many different things.

BB: How did you start writing music?

MC: I broke my leg in a skateboarding accident and I couldn’t really do anything for 18 months so I picked up the guitar I had gotten earlier and just started playing.

BB: Your most popular songs are “Mr. Pitiful,” “Cold December,” and “Sunshine,” but what are your personal favorites ones?

MC: The ones that I’m writing right now.

BB: You’re working on a new album. How is it going to be compared to your previous ones?

MC: It’s going to be a lot more different. It’s going to be more 60s in a literal sense.

BB: Do you have any advice for future songwriters?

MC: Existentialism.

BB: Thank you for your time.

MC: No problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment